Friday, November 23, 2012

Is It Safe to Come Out?

Black Friday is just about over.

Phew.

I wasn't sure I would make it. Such incredible bargains to be had. All I had to do was head to the store and they would be laid out before me in an array of wonders that I couldn't resist if I went.

Well, I have to admit I DID go to one of my local big box retailers today. I needed a couple things for our Thanksgiving Family Gathering this afternoon. I did some food shopping; some odds and ends.But there it was. The Black Friday Banners.

Special!

Low Price!

Get it Now!

I couldn't resist. I had to buy something that wasn't on my shopping list for today.

The siren call of the bargains led me to one section where I just had to look to see if one of the gifts we were buying was on sale. I felt like I would be un-American, un-Patriotic, if I didn't at least look.

It was not on sale. It was regular price. The let-down was tremendous. How could I do my part in this big, yearly American ritual? How could I be helping the economy rebound from the great recession if the store wouldn't put what I wanted on sale.  All that other stuff I didn't need, or could never use, was on sale. Why not my wish?

Sadly, I turned to walk away. But not before getting the gift anyway. No one will call me un-American. I even sacrificed by paying full price.

No comments: