Saturday, April 23, 2016

A Brief Thought on Longevity

As yesterday's post indicated, my wife and I have been married 44 years. Quite an accomplishment, although there are many who manage that.

In any case, we were sitting reminiscing yesterday. We started with the normal stuff like Richard Nixon was President and Roberta Flack's single, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," was number 1 on the Billboard charts. We then talked about the fact that for many years we actually worked together at the same job. We were co-pastors from 1989 - 2003. Before that she was involved in the church life as a pastor's wife- and then for most of the time from 2005-2012 with me as the pastor's husband.

We spent a lot of time together. At work, at play, at rest.

Over the years many friends have commented that they could not have done that with their spouse. Working together like that would have driven them crazy.

My response is a deep gratitude that for all these years I have been able to work, day-in and day-out with my best friend. We like being together.

For us, at least, that is one of the secrets of 44 years.



2 comments:

Dim Lamp said...

My wife and I are also a clergy couple. We've worked as solo pastors, in team ministry as co-pastors, and for the last 13 years, I've served as a chaplain and my wife as a solo parish pastor. Later this year we'll be celebrating our 33rd wedding anniversary.

Dim Lamp said...

Oops! Mistake in last comment, later this year it will actually be our 35th wedding anniversary!